Master of Science in Geosciences (Operational Meteorology focus), August 2013
Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS
Bachelor of Science in Geography, May 2010
Outside concentration in Journalism (photojournalism focus)
Certificate in Meteorology and Climatology
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
Associate of Arts, December 2006
College of Central Florida, Ocala, FL
On-Air / Digital Meteorologist
January 2017 – present
WCTV-TV Tallahassee, Florida
• Promoted to the fourth meteorologist on a full-time basis.
• Responsible for positing weather updates and content to the station’s website and social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter.
• Forecasting, and delivering the weather on air during the weekend morning shows, and filling in when needed.
• Help with creating content for special projects such as the yearly hurricane special.
• Gather information, shoot, write, and edit weather, science, and environmental stories for television and the web.
• Social media channels: @CharlesRoopWCTV on Twitter, “Charles Roop WCTV” on Facebook.
Photojournalist / Meteorologist
September 2013 – December 2016
WCTV-TV Tallahassee, Florida
• Post weather updates on social media channels using weather graphics from WSI TruVu Max
using Social News Desk and TweetDeck.
• Initiated the posting weather updates on the weather webpage, including weather-related news, which has increased traffic to the once-dormant weather page on the website.
• Fill-in on-camera meteorologist when needed, and assists the weather department with graphics and social media during times of severe weather.
• Collaborates with the weather team to write, edit, and shoot weather stories for newscasts and special projects, including the recent hurricane season specials. Some works have been on-camera.
• Shoot and edit news, weather, and sports video with a reporter or solo in the field using professional-grade Sony cameras and non-linear editors, and shoot live shots using bonded cellular.
• Responsible for educating news staff with equipment and editing software. Created technical procedures for reporters to transmit video back to the station using bonded cellular.
November 2014 – June 2015
Hwind Scientific, LLC Tallahassee, Florida
Performed quality control post-analysis of tropical cyclones on a part-time basis. Used Python to perform data extraction to help with QC analysis. Also posted updates and tropical meteorology-related stories on social media.
Lead Meteorologist, Webmaster and Social Media Manager
June 2012 – July 2014
Florida Weather Update Tallahassee, Florida
– Co-created the social media entity that provided forecasts and weather updates for Florida.
January 2011 – April 2013
The Weather Challenge
– Ranked 169th overall in Spring 2011, 58th (yearly) in the 2011-2012 season, and 13th (yearly) in the 2012-2013 season.
– Trophies: Ranked first in the graduate student category for Louisville, Kentucky, runner-up for Astoria, Oregon (Fall 2012)
Tourism Crisis Management Institute, University of Florida Gainesville, Florida
– Collected data for tourist hurricane warning product reaction study.
September – December 2008
Independent Weather Alligator Gainesville, Florida
– Produced weather forecasts for the brief weather section in the print edition of the student-run paper.
Volunteer Advanced Skywarn Storm Spotter
– Certified in 2002 (beginning and advanced).
– Occasionally ran amateur radio nets in North Central Florida.
Amateur Radio Emergency Services of Alachua County, Florida
– Completed FEMA IS-100, FEMA IS-700, ARRL Amateur Radio Emergency Communications (Level 1) courses.
Relationships Between Temperature and Precipitation in Florida and Atmospheric Teleconnection Indices (Morris, et al.)
– Presented as a poster at the Florida Society of Geographers Annual Meeting in February 2011.
– Abstract can be found at http://www.geosciences.fau.edu/fsg/documents/Program.doc
Geographic Analysis of Tornadogenesis from Landfalling and Nearby Tropical Cyclones in the State of Florida (Graduate Thesis Topic)
– Presented as a poster at the Southeastern Severe Weather Symposium (2013) in Starkville, MS. Won third place in the poster contest.
– Abstract and paper can be found on Mississippi State’s library website.
– Video of thesis defense online: https://vimeo.com/68981335
President (2011-2012), Member (2010, 2012-2013)
East Mississippi Chapter of the National Weather Association/American Meteorological Society
Vice President (2008 – 2009), Member (2009 – 2010)
Gator Chapter of the American Meteorological Society, University of Florida
– Aided in founding the campus chapter in 2008.
– Initiated the use of social media for club outreach.
Vice President (2007-2009), Member (2009-2010)
Gator Amateur Radio Club, University of Florida
Student Member (2003-2014), Full Member (2014-present)
American Meteorological Society
– American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting – 2010, 2012, 2013
– Inland Impact of Tropical Cyclones Conference, Atlanta, Ga., June 2009
– Southeast Severe Storms Symposium, Starkville, Miss. – 2010, 2012, 2013
– Southeastern Coastal & Atmospheric Processes Symposium, Mobile, Ala. – 2011, 2013
– National Weather Association 36th Annual Meeting, Birmingham, Ala., October 2011
Proficient in Windows, Macintosh OS X, iWork suite, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, Final Cut Express 4, ESRI ArcGIS 10, GRLevel3, RadarScope, BUFKIT, WSI TruVu Max. Elementary proficiency with Python, R, HTML, and CSS.